Ray DelMuro

DelMuro, Ray Photo

Entrepreneur, Artist, Engineer

Ray DelMuro has the passion for melding the heart of a non-profit with the horsepower of a corporation.  He has loved making things since he had baby teeth.   He is the founder of Refresh Glass whose mission is to rescue 10 million wine bottles from the local community and repurpose them into functional products.  Ray serves on the board of Conscious Capitalism Arizona, makes his own furniture and has a stunning collecting of photos from his world travels.

My personal practice is…

Mind mapping!

How did you discover your practice?

When I was in college my dream was to own a ’55 Chevy. When I was 21 I made it happen. Before I picked it up I literally started skipping I was so excited. I told my parents that it’s not old cars that break down, it’s cars that aren’t well maintained… I’d say it ran 80% of the time. The other 20% it either broke down or I was modifying it.

I learned about how all the subsystems were integrated to create the functional whole of the car. Subsystems like the electrical, suspension, brakes, motor, tranny, rear end, frame, body, interior, etc… they all had component parts and all had aspects that interrelated with other subsystems. DelMuro, Ray Car Photo

It was because of this car and my love for this style of thought that I became an engineer. In engineering we would say there is a top assembly, subassemblies, and component parts. Mind mapping works the same way. There is a central entity, subsystems, components to the subsystems, and relationships between all the moving parts.

Why do you practice?

After school, work, traveling, messing a lot of stuff up, I’ve come to believe that my most valued commodity is Time …as a thing to be well spent. The central theme of my daily mind mapping is how to spend my waking hours.

I used to think that achievement and money would get me more experiences and better relationships. But I now think this is backwards. I believe that by providing solutions and avenues for others to have more revenue and passion in their lives that I get more in my own. That’s why I love purpose driven business and combining the heart of a charity with the horsepower of a corporation.

I want to have as many memorable experiences in my day with the people I care about as possible. I also think that it’s important to be engaged in challenging work that others benefit from – value creation.

So when I mind map every morning, I use my time as the central entity, and then create subareas of personal and professional realms, along with the specifics under each, that I want to give energy to in order to create more memorable experiences with/ for rad people.

I also think this systems type thinking has helped me learn new subjects a little faster. For example: Photography has main elements of aperture, light value, shutter speed, composition, etc. and each of these has component knowledge – all of which interrelate. Knowing this helps me ask questions from knowledgeable people and absorb information quicker. Other subjects and interactions have similar systems functionality.

How frequently and for how long do you practice?

I try to mind map every morning after our morning huddle. It’s usually between 8:15-9:00am. I don’t schedule anything in-between these times. After I get my mind map done I pick my top five priorities for the day, then tackle those first. Then I prioritize the rest by activity type: errand, computer, agenda, etc. and try to chunk the rest of my day between daily task, project task, and calendared agenda items in buckets of an hour or two.

What’s something that gets in the way of your practice and how to you move through it?

I’ve had to focus on not getting distracted by email and have created stricter rules on not doing those things I find fun first.

What supports you in staying committed to your practice?

I’ve noticed on the days I map diligently that I can get more done before lunch than on the days I roam fighting fires or hanging out in my comfort zones. This is cool too because I know if I tackle my top five and then want to do something spontaneous, that all of my major items are known, and that I have a way to reference them later so I can go play.

What role does your practice play in your work?

Describe someone you know whose practice inspires you.

Benjamin Franklin, dead I know, but I reread his autobiography once or twice a year. This guy was a bad ass. He lived of life of discipline and curiosity where his belief in his abilities and planning/adaptation methods led to his impactful existence. I seriously consider him a mentor.

A practice I’d like to explore is….

Meditation

Anything else you’d like to share about practice.

I’ve come to believe that in my plan is the discipline to adapt and replan, and if this is my plan, then everything will go according to plan.

To learn more about Ray and Refresh Glass, click here.